Sunday, June 7, 2015

Event #5, International Surfing Museum

Yesterday, I went to the International Surfing Museum. It was a rather small space by Huntington Beach, but still very cozy and warm. I had expected the area to be larger, but it already seemed to be the right size for all its exhibits ("International Surfing Museum"). Stepping into the little museum, I could already see everything that had to be seen:


The International Surfing Museum

Initially, I had thought that surfing was just a sport. But after looking through all the exhibits in the museum, I strongly believe that it is not just a sport but also an art form (Leary). In the museum, I noticed a small exhibit of how surfboards were made.



Display of a prototype trophy for the 2003 US Open of Surfing. It was created by Dave Reynolds (Llyod). It was designed to look like a mini surfboard.

In class, we learned how cultures can combine to create a new culture. In the museum, there was a wall that was dedicated to the Global Tribe of bodysurfers. Bodysurfers come from all around the world (“Bodysurfing 101”). It is now a global sport, with surfers coming from the UK, France, Brazil, Morocco, and the United States. Bodysurfing has become a culture that can bring people from different countries together (Maman). I believe that they have created a new culture.


The Global Tribe - Bodysurfing is a culture!

There was a shelf with many bottles of sand. When I went closer to it, I noticed that the sand were from different beaches. I thought it was interesting how they collected sand from different beaches of the world, not all of them were yellow; there were some red, some white, and some black.


Bottles with sand from beaches around the world

Lastly, here is a receipt of my ticket into the museum. It costs only $2. If you enjoy surfing and want to know more about the history of surfing, I strongly suggest you visit this museum!


Me inside the museum! :)

Me and my receipt!



Works Cited

"International Surfing Museum." International Surfing Museum. Web. 7 June 2015. http://www.surfingmuseum.org/

Leary, Catie. "For Native Hawaiians, Surfing Is More than a Hobby - It's a Way of Life." Mother Nature Network. 2 Feb. 2015. Web. 7 June 2015.

Llyod, Lauren. "Why The Work Of Surf Artist Dave C. Reynolds Will Live On Forever." RSS. 30 Nov. 2013. Web. 7 June 2015.

Maman, Teia. "Bodysurfing: Art and Culture." 123ocean. Web. 7 June 2015.

"Bodysurfing 101: The Beginners Guide." Slyde Handboards. Web. 7 June 2015.



No comments: